News from City Hall
City Communications Office
City of Kansas City, Mo.
CONTACT: Mary Charles, city communications officer, (816) 513-1356
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 18, 2009
Street closures announced for National Catholic Youth Conference
The City of Kansas City, Mo., Public Works Department is alerting motorists that many streets in the Downtown and Crossroads areas will be temporarily closed at various times from Nov. 19 through Nov. 22. These closures are being made to accommodate the National Catholic Youth Conference.
The following street closure is scheduled for Nov. 20 and Nov. 21:
• 13th Street will be closed from Central Street to Broadway Boulevard on Nov. 20 and Nov. 21, from 10:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
The following streets will be closed from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. on Nov. 20 and Nov. 21 during a march from Sprint Center to the Kansas City Convention Center:
• 14th Street (from Central to Grand Boulevard)
• Grand Boulevard (from 13th Street to 15th Street)
• Walnut Street (from 13th Street to 15th Street)
• Main Street (from 13th Street to 15th Street)
• Baltimore Avenue (from 13th Street to 15th Street)
• Wyandotte Street (from 13th Street to 15th Street)
• Central Street (from 13th Street to 15th Street).
In addition, conference attendees will be transported from hotels to the convention center each day by more than 300 school buses. Parking lanes of the streets below will be periodically unavailable for public on-street parking throughout the conference from Nov. 19 through Nov. 22. Violators will be towed.
• Walnut Street (from 17th Street to 20th Street)
• Grand Boulevard (from 12th Street to 20th Street)
• McGee Street (from 11th Street to 13th Street, and from Truman Road to 20th Street)
• Oak Street (from 12th Street to 20th Street)
• Locust Street (from 16th Street to 20th Street)
• E. 13th Street (from Oak Street to Grand Boulevard)
• E. Truman Road (westbound from Oak Street to Baltimore Street)
• E. 18th Street (from Oak Street to Walnut Street and from Oak Street to Locust Street)
• E. 19th Street (from Grand Boulevard to Locust Street)
• E. 20th Street (from Grand Boulevard to Main Street)
With approximately 22,000 attendees, the National Catholic Youth Conference has an estimated economic impact of $15.5 million and isKansas City'sthird-largest convention in 2009. Sponsored by the National Federation for Catholic Youth Ministry, the four-day conference is the country’s largest gathering of Catholic youth. Kansas City last hosted the group in 1997. For more information about the conference, visit www.ncyc.nfcym.org.
Media inquiries and other requests for more information about these closures should be directed to Dennis Gagnon, public information officer for the Public Works Department, (816) 513-2659.