Residential solid waste is combined garbage and trash generated by residents. We accept the following types of items as regular household trash:
- Food waste and packaging (some packaging can be recycled)
- Small appliances, toys and tools (donate re-usable items to charitable organizations)
- Rubbish associated with normal home maintenance
- Small automobile parts that can be bagged, such as spark plugs, brake shoes and shock absorbers
- Building materials bundled with twine or wire, including wood and wood products, plaster or wallboard
- Boxes of shingles, empty paint cans and similar small items generated during routine maintenance and minor home repair
- Boxes of stone and masonry
Items that require special preparation
- Animal and human excrement: Must be double bagged (a bag within a bag).
- Sharp items: For the protection of sanitation crews, broken glass, needles and other sharp objects must be clearly labeled and wrapped in layers of paper or placed in a separate container.
- Hypodermic syringes should be clearly labeled and placed in a hard plastic container.
- Liquids: Trash must not contain liquids. Pour liquids such as soft drinks, water and juice down the drain.
There are some items that the City cannot collect as part of regular weekly trash collection. These items are listed with with the suggested disposal alternative.