If you believe that your vehicle has been towed by the City, please take a moment to check our online records. To reclaim an impounded vehicle from the Tow Lot, you must bring the following items:
- A money order, cashier's check or credit card to pay the towing and storage fees -- no cash or personal/business checks are accepted. If paying by credit card, the card's owner must be present.
- Vehicle title or current registration (can be retrieved from the vehicle if necessary). If the vehicle was purchased in Missouri more than 30 days ago and the title/registration is not yet completed, the vehicle will not be released. The new owner must register it at the DMV first and bring in the new paperwork. Out-of-state titles for vehicles recently purchased are not subject to this rule.
- Valid photo ID: a current state issued driver’s license, current federally issued military identification, current Missouri or Kansas Police Department issued receipt for driver’s license, current passport, current passcard, current state issued identification, current student identification with photograph, current work identification with picture, current picture ID from a check cashing store, or a jail wrist band with picture identification.
- if someone other than the owner is picking up the vehicle, this ID must be for the person picking it up.
- A current valid driver's license (if driving the vehicle away). If the owner does not have a valid driver’s license, they must be accompanied with someone who does. Vehicles must be towed away if inoperable.
- To retrieve a vehicle on behalf of the owner, you must have a signed and notarized letter authorizing you to pick up the vehicle, in addition to the above requirements. The notarized letter must identify the vehicle by make, model, year and VIN.
- No one under the age of 18 is allowed unaccompanied on the lot. Anyone under the age of 18 must have a responsible adult with them while in the lobby or on the lot while looking at their vehicle.
Vehicles that are not claimed will be sold at auction
to recover storage costs.
|Tow Classification||Tow Fee||Storage Fee||If Reported Stolen|
|Normal/light-duty tows |
(up to 10,000 lbs in weight)
|$200||$30/day, waived if picked up within 24 hours||$120 tow fee, 4 days storage waived|
|Medium-duty tows |
(10,001 to 26,000 lbs)
|$300||$40/day, waived if picked up within 24 hours||$200 tow fee, 4 days storage waived|
|Heavy-duty tows |
(over 26,000 lbs in weight, or special equipment is needed for towing)
|$375 plus $120/hour after first hour||$70/day, waived if picked up within 24 hours||$250 tow fee plus hourly rate, 4 days storage waived|
* The Tow Lot is closed for city-observed holidays, including the Friday after Thanksgiving. Vehicles towed the day before a holiday and picked up the day the Tow Lot re-opens will also have their storage fees waived as if it had been a single 24-hour period.