Regulated Industries oversees compliance for a number of 'nuisance' businesses through the enforcement of various City ordinances, and in partnership with county, state and federal officials. These businesses include but are not necessarily limited to:
- alcohol-related businesses such as taverns, package beverage stores, wholesalers, beer, wine, and liquor manufacturers, and catered/non-profit events with alcohol being served;
- "adult entertainment" businesses such as strip clubs, retail businesses selling pornographic or adult-oriented items, and the employees thereof;
- taxi, sightseeing and livery vehicle companies and drivers;
- junkyards, metal recyclers and waste tire haulers;
- day labor and short-term loan facilities;
- dance halls, haunted houses, skating rinks, billiard halls, carnivals and other places of amusement or entertainment as specified by ordinance.
In addition, Regulated Industries oversees the Alcoholic Beverage Advisory Group and the Liquor Control Board, which deal with appeals and complaints regarding alcohol-related industries.
Regulated Industries has now partnered with the Missouri Department of Natural Resources to assist neighborhood associations and nonprofit organizations that wish to conduct their own scrap tire cleanups. The State has a program whereby nonprofit groups can be reimbursed up to $2 for the cost of cleaning up waste tires. For more information, visit this page.