Neighborhood Preservation is one of the largest divisions of the Neighborhoods and Housing Services Department, and one of the most visible. More than 50 code enforcement officers, assigned to various inspection areas throughout the City, respond to complaints of nuisance code or property maintenance code violations, attempt to obtain voluntary compliance from homeowners or residents, and issue tickets or administrative citations to those who refuse to comply.
4900 Swope Parkway
Kansas City, MO 64130 (map)
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Monday - Friday
816-513-8430 (Dangerous Buildings)
816-513-9020 (Land Bank)
The division contains several programs and areas of focus:
- enforcement of Chapter 48 and Chapter 56 of the City's Code of Ordinances, and certain sections of other chapters as they apply to residential property;
- this includes both responding to citizen complaints to the 3-1-1 Call Center and, when appropriate, enforcement sweeps through target areas and neighborhoods.
- dangerous building monitoring and, when necessary, demolition at the expense of the property owner;
- securing property that has been left open to entry, if the owner is unwilling or unable to be contacted;
- nuisance abatement when property owners fail to maintain their own property for weed or trash violations;
- partnership with the Kansas City Land Bank to ensure that properties sold for back taxes do not become blighting influences on the neighborhoods;