|Birth & Death Certificates
|Birth and death records|
- Request a copy online
(Please note that while VitalChek's Web site has options for marriage and divorce records, the Health Department only contracts with them to provide birth and death records)
- Printable birth application form in PDF and DOC format (these will open in a new window)
2400 Troost Ave., Suite 1000
Kansas City, MO 64108
Office hours: Monday through Friday (except holidays), 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
You can request a Missouri
birth or death certificate from the City of Kansas City, Mo. Vital Records Office by mail or online. For Kansas certificates, call 785-296-1400. For other information or questions (including vital records offices in other states), send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 816-513-6309.
Who may request and receive copies of vital records?
- The primary person named on the vital records.
- A member of the immediate family, including includes wife, husband, son, daughter, mother, father, brother, sister, grandmother, grandfather, grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece and nephew. This does not include cousins.
- Others: guardian who shows guardian paperwork, foster parent who furnish custody papers, step-parent and attorney acting on behalf of the registrant or family.
Requests by mail
Please include the following information when submitting a mailed request:
- For a Missouri certified birth certificate, your request must include the birth name, birth date, mother's maiden name, father's name, your relationship to the person named on the certificate and the reason you need the record. Certified birth certificates starting from 1920 are $15 each.
- For a Missouri certified death certificate, you need the deceased's name, date of death, place of death and your relationship to the person named on the certificate. Certificates for deaths within the City of Kansas City, Mo., starting in 1910 are $13 for the first copy and $10 for each additional. All death records outside the city limits, but in the state of Missouri starting in 1980, are $13 for the first copy and $10 for each additional.
- Please also enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelop, a copy of your driver's license or other ID and a check or money order payable to Vital Records. All requests are sent out in about two days unless a problem occurs.
The City of Kansas City, Mo., Office of Vital Records does not accept credit cards or online orders; however, for your convenience, we have partnered with an independent company, VitalChek Network, Inc., to provide you this service. You may reach VitalChek through their website. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard® and Visa®.
Online requests for a Missouri certified birth or death certificate may be submitted through VitalChek's online request form. The birth certificate cost is $26.25 when sent by regular U.S. mail or $43.75 by UPS. Death certificate cost is $24.25 when sent by regular U.S. mail or $41.75 by UPS. Please note that while VitalChek's Web site has options for marriage and divorce records, the Health Department only contracts with them to provide birth and death records.