The KCFD Rescue Division of the Kansas City, Mo. Fire Department deploys three heavy rescue companies that are staffed at all times. Those companies are:
Rescue 1–Station 25, 401 East Missouri Avenue
Rescue 9–Station 35, 3200 Emanuel Cleaver III Boulevard
Rescue 31–Station 17, 3401 Paseo
There is one division chief, one training officer, and 72 personnel that staff the rescue companies. All rescue personnel are certified to the Technician level in the following disciplines:
- Rope Rescue
- Confined Space Rescue
- Trench Rescue
- Structural Collapse Rescue
- Vehicle and Machinery Rescue
- Wilderness Rescue
- Swift/Flood Water Rescue
- Ice Rescue
- Technical Boat Operations
- Hazardous Materials Operations
The rescue companies are supported by specialized equipment and apparatus that include:
- SUPPORT 75 - Tractor trailer that is equipped with specialized equipment for each of the disciplines.
- T-76 – 26 foot trailer that supports wilderness search and rescue along with personnel rehab capabilities.
- Bobcat and trailer – Used for debris removal and training.
- Watercraft - Six river rescue boats, three Zodiac IRB’s and two rescue airboats.
The Rescue Division is part of a regional rescue response system supported by Mid America Regional Council’s (MARC), Urban Area Security Area (UASI), Homeland Security grant program. Other departments included in the regional technical rescue response system include the following: Jackson County Fire Protection District; the Kansas City, Kansas Fire Department; and the Olathe, Kansas Fire Department. The mission of the regional system is to respond to technical rescue, natural disaster, or terrorism incidents with the proper equipment, training, and personnel and to mitigate the emergency.