Lien Waiver Program
This incentive program is a combined program of the City Planning and Development
and Neighborhoods and Housing Services
It grew from the FOCUS Kansas City Comprehensive and Strategic Plan
that recommends targeted incentive programs be created to encourage specific growth and re-development activities.
Dramatic efforts have been made to remove abandoned and dangerous structures, but out of success, a different kind of challenge evolved. As abandoned, dangerous, or blighted structures are removed, vacant lots result. These lots are often not maintained by their owners, can be concentrated in clusters, and become collection sites for trash and weeds. Redevelopment of these sites is further hampered by demolition and nuisance abatement liens that are often placed on the properties.
The main goal of this program is to put these lots back into productive use and ensure that the proposed use is compatible with the surrounding neighborhood. The lien waiver makes it possible to redevelop these sites.
For additional information, contact staff in the Urban Redevelopment division by calling 816-513-2852.
- Obtain the application form by downloading it from the web site or by calling (816) 513-2852 to request a mail delivery. Complete the signed application and return it to: Lien Waiver Program, 16th Floor, City Hall, 414 E. 12th Street, Kansas City, Missouri 61406
- Include all supporting documents required on the application, including; affidavits, tax receipts, property ownership within Kansas City, Mo., list of violations of Kansas City, Mo. code of ordinances for the last two years, etc.
- Provide site plan and/or development plan if required.
- Program staff will review the application to ensure that all the information is complete and that all requested materials are provided.
- Program staff will verify all code violation information, police records and property ownership records.
- After your application is reviewed and information verified, program staff will evaluate your application, develop recommendations and schedule your request for the next available Lien Waiver Committee meeting.
- All residences within 185 feet of the property will be notified of your request and the intended use of the property which you have proposed.
- You will be notified in writing of the Committee's decision.
- If the lien amount is $10,000 or more the applicant is required to enter into a contract agreeing to complete all terms, conditions or requirements before the lien is released.
- If the lien is a demolition lien and the amount exceeds $35,000, or if the lien(s) is nuisance abatement lien(s) and the cumulative amount exceeds $5,000, the Committee will forward a recommendation to the City Council requesting authorization to approve the request in the form of an ordinance.
The lien will be waived two years, or the specific time period approved by the Committee, after approval of the application provided that all conditions of approval are met. The lien will be waived at closing of the construction loan if the applicant is seeking conventional financing.
- Applicant cannot be the owner of the property at the time the building was demolished or the nuisance violations were abated; and
- Complete all information requred in the Application, and attach all requested documents.
Application Fee - $160.00
Submit a cashier's check or money order payable to: "City Treasurer of Kansas City, Mo." with your application. No personal checks will be accepted. Application fee is nonrefundable.